To view a larger photograph, click on the thumbnail image.
In September of 1735 Henry Antes bought 175 acres in Frederick Township. On his property Henry built the first grist mill in the area on the Swamp Creek. The Antes House is now the property of the Goschenhoppen Historians, Inc.
According to the History of Montgomery County, the immigrant Frederick Antes was buried here in 1746. Head stones standing at this time are those of Henry, son of Frederick, who died July 20, 1755 and two members of the Shalkop family who died early in the 19th century. There are also graves of 17 Revolutionary soldiers.
George Samuel Nyce, born 1836, died 1896, resided in his ancestral home on the Great Road (known as Big Road) throughout his entire life. George Nyce was a music teacher and dealer in pianos and organs; he taught Sunday school.
Built prior to 1730 by Hans Neuss, this home is the oldest log house in Upper Frederick Township. It is located on Colonial Road.
In 1856, Benjamin Bertolet and other leading citizens of Frederick Township devised a plan to establish the Frederick Institute as a classical day school to prepare men and women for college. A magnificent edifice, the building and school were the pride of Frederick until the Civil War. Without students, the school closed.
In 1896, the school went to auction and the Reverend Nathaniel B. Grubb purchased it and with the last minute approval of the First Mennonite Church of Philadelphia, formed the Frederick Mennonite Home for the Aged.
Today, Frederick Mennonite Community is a flourishing continuing care retirement community featuring independent living, assisted living, Alzheimer's and nursing care. Frederick Mennonite Community is open to all persons without regard to race, age, religion, disability, ancestry, national origin or gender.