Parks & Recreation
Tuesday, March 15 2016
March 15, 2016
ATTENDING: Kevin Murray, Chairman; Desra Keenan, Secretary; Steve Zimmerman; Jon Sell; Jackie Tallon, Township Manager; and, Lois Reitnour, Administrative Assistant
Meeting was brought to order by the Chairman at 7:05 PM.
Swamp Creek Stomp – April 2, 2016
Kevin informed that registrations to date are at 90. Second E-Blast will go out on March 16, 2016. Hoping to obtain a large amount of additional registrations from the blast. Keeping on line registration open; March 20th at midnight was scheduled closure time for pre-registration. However, late registrations may not be guaranteed a T-shirt. 10K runners consist of about 1/3 of the total registrations.
Steve informed that medals and trophies are completed. Provided information on and sample of medals and photo of trophy. Invoice in the amount of $487.40 will be forwarded to the township from Bridgeport Trophy Company (BTC Awards).
- Kevin stated that the trail is runnable. However, minor brush trimming and branch removal will need to be done.
- Trail marking, mile markers and minor clean-up day is scheduled for March 26th at 9:00 AM. Steve will pick up marking paint and additional ribbon.
- Camp Laughing Waters has an event schedule for the same weekend race is scheduled. Use of the parking area on Hildebeidel Road may be limited.
- Goschenhoppens to be contacted for use of their areas for volunteer parking. Ms. Tallon will contact.
- Letter to residents of Colonial Road notifying them of the road closure during the run.
- Steve will bring his “ship to shore” radio.
- Wednesday, March 30th, Board meeting at Kevin’s shop on Simmons Road, 6:30 PM, to fill race bags.
- Second Wind providing bibs with numbers
- Kevin will order Port-A-Potties (5) and hand wash stations (2)
- FOOD: 2 cases of bananas and 12 dozen bagels (provided by Moccia’s); 14 cases water (Desra); 150 soft pretzels (Steve to call, Cheryl to pick-up); granola bars (Desra); 500 – 6oz cups (Desra); Ice; coolers for water tables
- Long tables, plywood sheets, cones from township
- Petty Cash - $400 ($5’s and $10’s)
- Special Event Permit – Jackie will obtain
- Bags for trash and recycle containers
- Ropes will be borrowed from Leo
- Kevin and Steve will be generators to have on hand if needed.
- Tent set up scheduled for Friday, April 1st. Time to be determined.
- Plymouth Community Ambulance has been notified and confirmed attendance.
Tree Vitalize – Bare Root Tree Order
Ms. Tackett informed that the Township’s request of 12 trees has been approved. Tree pick up is April 21st. Rob Keenan will be attending the training seminars, on March 30th, April 6th and 13th, 2016 from 6:00 to 9:00 pm at the Spring City Elementary School. Ms. Tackett will ask the Phoenixville Borough Public Works Department if they would pick up Upper Frederick’s order along with theirs. Scheduled planting date for the trees is May 1st at 1:00. Locations for plantings need to be determined.
DCNR Grant for Dog Park
Ms. Tallon provided a copy of the DCNR recommended timeline for the projects progression. Guidelines were reviewed and discussed.
PECO Green Region Open Space Grant
Ms. Tallon informed that the grant application was sent and received. Date for the awarding of the grant is unknown. Ms. Tallon will check with Ms. Tackett for any updated information.
On Your Park, Get Set, Go - Contest
Kevin attended the March 3, 2016 contest start-up meeting. Kevin was pumped about the contest and felt it was worth the Parks Board’s time to enter. Kevin went over the requirements. Kickoff event to present the program to the residents was discussed. Board voted unanimously to participate in the contest.
St. Luke’s will be having their June Fest on June 4th. Board voted to have the Township Flea Market and Craft Sale on the same date.
Community Day – September 24, 2016
Ms. Tallon informed that Shred One Truck, Slapshot, and What Knott Farm have been booked. Masons no longer do the CHIP Program. Research for other Child ID Programs.
The next Parks Board meeting will be held on April 19, 2016 at 7:00 PM.
The April 14, 2016 Board of Supervisors Meeting will be attended by Steve.
Kevin motioned and Steve seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 pm. Motion was approved by all.