Parks & Recreation
Tuesday, July 19 2016
July 19, 2016
ATTENDING: Kevin Murray, Chairman; Steve Zimmerman; Jon Sell; and, Lois Reitnour, Administrative Assistant
Meeting was brought to order by the Chairman at 7:00 PM.
Dog Park Construction
A meeting has been scheduled with the landscape architect on Wednesday, July 20, 2016, at 9:00 AM. Ms. Tallon, Ms. Tackett and Kevin will be attending the meeting. Following the meeting, a conference call with DCNR will be scheduled. The conference call will be a kick-off to the start of the dog park.
Goschenhoppen Historians received the Township’s letter regarding the requested pedestrian gate and cost. Cost was presented to Goschenhoppen’s Board. Board approved the cost and money will be dontated for the pedestrian gate.
With the Goschenhoppen Festival starting in a few weeks, Kevin inquired if the Board felt that the recently planted trees should be marked out to avoid any vehicles hitting them. Members felt that the trees should be okay.
PECO Green Region Open Space Grant
On Your Park, Get Set, Go – Contest & Movie Night
Kevin stated that the standings have not been updated since our activity movie night. Currently we are still in third place. We are hoping to pass the second place township. Jon stated that he was having difficulty locating the ticket drop boxes at different park locations. Kevin has also received complaints.
Movie night was a success. Steve approximated at least 100 people attended. Kevin stated that everyone worked hard and thank you. Feedback was very positive.
Community Day – September 24, 2016
Participatant and Activity List was updated and reviewed.
- Confirmed: Senator Mench’s staff; Representative Toepel and staff; Shredder; Face Painter; Sassafras the Clown; French Fry Vendor; Slap Shot; Funnel Cake Vendor; Water Ice; Popcorn Vendor; Petting Zoo; Ice Cream Truck; Pony Rides; Med Evac; Furry Friends and Reptile Clubs; Bookmobile; Rock Climb and Bungee Jump; Hamster Ball and Laser Tag; and raffle prizes.
- Sponsorship, participants and donation letters have been sent
- Bands – Mud Puppy and Devil and Mrs. Jones
Assignments were given for follow-up. Kevin will handle all signage and contact Schwenksville Fire Company for sign rental and extra tent, tables and chairs. Have extra pop up tents available.
Kevin will place an event page on facebook. Kevin will also check into purchasing a gas grill.
Kevin to approach Township Manager about obtaining an additional ride for children. A tractor pulling wheeled barrels around a designated trail within the Community Day event.
Chili Cook-Off is on.
Eagle Scout Projects -
- Dan Makela – Nature Placards in Wayland Park – Ready to construct all the small kiosks and hopefully ready to install the weekend of July 23, 2016.
- Ben Eckenrode – Replace end post and Install Split Rail Fencing along Township Property Line – Completion date scheduled for July 19, 2016.
- Alex Longacre – Building kiosk at Speelhoffer Park –
- Matthew Souder – Benches at Wayland Park – Obtained map of Wayland Park from the township and is planning to build new benches along the trail. No further contact.
Kevin informed that he was approached by a 4th scout for a possible project. Members in attendance brain stormed some ideas for discussion: marking off the walking trail in Wayland with permanent markers; construction of a small covered rest area, with bench, either Wayland or Speelhoffer Park; flag pole in Wayland.
The next Parks Board meeting will be held on August 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM.
The August 11, 2016 Board of Supervisors Meeting will be attended by Jon.
Kevin motioned and Steve seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:15 pm. Motion was approved by all.