Parks & Recreation
Tuesday, August 16 2016
August 16, 2016
ATTENDING: Kevin Murray, Chairman; Ed Goltz, Vice-Chairman; Desra Keenan; Steve Zimmerman; Jon Sell; Jackie Tallon, Township Manager; and, Lois Reitnour, Administrative Assistant
IN ATTENDANCE: Brendan Greer and Paula Bickelman, St. Luke’s Lutheran Church
Meeting was brought to order by the Chairman at 7:00 PM.
Community Day Discussion with St. Luke’s Representatives
Board and Township staff introduced themselves to Ms. Bickelman and Mr. Greer. Purpose of tonight’s meeting is to discuss duplication issues from last years Community Day events and to prevent any issues at the 2016 events. Outcome:
- Wristbands – St. Lukes’ – Yellow; UFT – Green
- Signage will used at both locations designating Yellow Wristbands are for St. Luke’s activities and Green Wristbands are for Upper Frederick Township activities
- St. Luke’s will not have an obstacle course – will substitute with “The Art Bus”
- Meeting to be scheduled in March/April 2017 between St. Luke’s and UFT Parks Board to review planned events and activities.
Ms. Bickelman and Mr. Greer thanked the Board for their consideration and time and exited the meeting.
Dog Park Construction
Ms. Tallon informed that the conference call with DCNR was done on Monday, August 8, 2016. The group went through the grant agreement check list. DCNR requirements have become stricter than previous years. Mr. Strodoski, Landscape Architect, is getting the final plan ready and will be putting together a bid package for the installation of fencing. Next step will be to submit the plan, along with additional signed paperwork, to Ms. Leslie Sarvinson, DCNR.
A donation check was received from the Goschenhoppen Historians for the requested pedestrian gate. Thank letter was sent. In addition, the $8,500 from the “On Your Park, Get Set, Go” contest can be used toward the required $20,000 match for the grant.
Mr. Goltz suggested that the bid packages also include the cost for fencing and not just installation. Installers may get a better price on fencing than purchasing it separately. Ms. Tallon agreed and will inform Mr. Strodoski to put packages together both ways.
PECO Green Region Open Space Grant
Upper Frederick Township did not receive the grant.
On Your Park, Get Set, Go – Contest & Movie Night
Ms. Tallon attended the “wrap-up” meeting. Contratulation letter was received from the Health & Wellness Foundation advising of the contest winnings. As required, the letter was signed by Scott Rakowski and Township Manager and e-mailed back to Ms. Rachael Giambgrone acknowledging the grant agreement. At the meeting, Ms. Tallon gave major credit for Upper Frederick Township’s success to Mr. Kevin Murray, Chairman of the Parks Board and the members.
Kevin will put a result and thank you sign at Wayland Park.
Eagle Scout Projects -
- Dan Makela – Nature Placards in Wayland Park – Completed. Good Job! Kevin signed the appropriate completion paperwork for Scout Makela.
- Ben Eckenrode – Replace end post and Install Split Rail Fencing along Township Property Line – Completed. Good Job! Scout Eckenrode came to the Township building prior to the Parks and Recreation meeting and Kevin signed his appropriate completion paperwork
- Alex Longacre – Building kiosk at Speelhoffer Park – Submitting plans for approval to Troop Councel.
- Matthew Souder – Benches at Wayland Park – Checking into options for bench material.
Other possible projects were mentioned:
- repair or new picnic tables for Wayland
- Book exchange
- Disc Golf for Wayland Park – Steve will research cost.
Community Day – September 24, 2016
Participant and Activity List was reviewed and updated. List of food purchased last year by Township was provided. Steve will order Chili Cook Off trophies. Book donations for Community Day to be dropped off at the Township Building during regular office hours. Update all forms and flyers.
Ms. Tallon reminded that invoices for the tent/tables and for both bands must be submitted prior to the Board of Supervisors meeting on September 8, 2016.
The next Parks Board meeting will be held on September 20, 2016 at 7:00 PM.
The September 8, 2016 Board of Supervisors Meeting will be attended by Desra.
Kevin motioned and Ed seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:54 pm. Motion was approved by all.