Parks & Recreation
Tuesday, October 18 2016
October 18, 2016
ATTENDING: Kevin Murray, Chairman; Ed Goltz, Vice-Chairman; Desra Keenan; Jon Sell; Jackie Tallon, Township Manager; and, Lois Reitnour, Administrative Assistant
Meeting was brought to order by the Chairman at 7:00 PM.
Dog Park Construction
Upon receipt of the draft plan from the Landscape Architects (ysm), Ms. Tallon stated that she would like to schedule a meeting with the Parks Board to review the plan.
Community Day – September 24, 2016
Spreadsheet of income and expenses was presented to the Board for their review. Turnout was less than last year. Rainy start to the day seemed to have dropped attendance. Food sales were low – 144 burgers and 120 hot dogs; 3 bags of onions used and 6 pounds of cheese. Only changes for next year will be additional cheese, more cola and less lemon-lime soda.
There were eleven (11) entries for the Chili Cook-Off this year. Lots of good feedback. Parks Board thanked the Township staff and road crew for all the help they provided getting ready for Community Day and Community Day.
Suggestions for 2017 –
- Additional signage
- Change layout of tents - use the space available
- Extend time by one hour for Games2U – 11:00 to 3:00
- Brusters (Aerial Adventures & Inflatables) – Change moonbouce obstacle course for another item (did not have much activity)
- Ed will check into having Chick-Filet as a vendor
- Hay ride or train ride circling the property as an activity – Ms. Tallon will check insurance as to liability coverage.
Eagle Scout Projects -
- Alex Longacre – Building kiosk at Speelhoffer Park – Completed. Kevin signed the appropriate completion paperwork for Scout Longacre. Parks Board will water seal kiosk and possibly add additional door on opposite side.
- Matthew Souder – Benches at Wayland Park – Status unknown. No contact from Scout Souder
Donated Tree for Wayland Park
Ms. Sharon Delporte contacted the Township inquiring if she could donate a Weeping Cherry Tree to Wayland Park. Tree was given as a gift and she has no room on her property to plant. Parks Board unanimously agreed to accept the donation. Jon Sell will contact Ms. Delporte to make arrangements.
Tree Lighting – December 4, 2016 at 7:00
Ms. Tallon informed that the new Photo Booth will be used that night. Suggested set up of booth is in a closed in tent outside.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Scheduled for Saturday, January 7, 2017 – Pick up at Perkiomen Crossing, Ivy Ridge and Clover Lane. Parks Board requested the use of the Township Public Works 550 truck and landscape trailer again for tree pick-up. Trees to be placed at curb side, no tinsel or ornaments on trees.
Swamp Creek Stomp – 5K Run
Scheduled for April 1, 2017. Discussion on using same timers as last year, possible increase on registration fees and extending the trail.
On Your Park Get Set Go
Ms. Tallon informed that we have a year to utilize the funds.
The next Parks Board meeting will be held on November 15, 2016 at 7:00 PM.
The November 10, 2016 Board of Supervisors Meeting will be attended by Kevin.
Kevin motioned and Ed seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:00 pm. Motion was approved by all.